Tired of your home filling with clutter as soon as you get it cleaned? Discover how to organize your home room by room so you never lose anything again…
Be honest with yourself: when was the last time you could see the back of your closet?
If you’re struggling to declutter your home you’re not alone. In fact, most of us wear only about 20% of our wardrobe 80% of the time.
So if you’ve been waiting for the right time to bring out the donation bin and make your home sparkle, this checklist will help you get your house ready for that big party you’ve been planning once you clean up.
Before you start decluttering, make sure you have everything you need. Some helpful items include:
- Manilla folders, preferably a filing cabinet
- Garbage bags
- Container for recycling
- Broom, mop, vacuum
- Cleaning supplies
- Rubber gloves
- Dust masks
Once you’ve got everything ready, it’s time to start organizing.
How to Declutter Your Home Room by Room
Decluttering your home room by room gives you the chance to give each section of the house equal attention.
Start with the smaller rooms because finishing them will make you feel like you’ve accomplished more than working for hours on one of the big rooms.
- Make sure any dirty laundry is in the hamper and any clean laundry is folded and put away.
- Pick everything up off the floor as preparation for sweeping and vacuuming.
- If you can, sweep first. If you have carpet make sure to vacuum well and take out the hose attachment for any hard to reach corners.
- Wipe down the walls. Walls can build up a layer of dirt dust that you don’t even notice until you start cleaning.
- Spray down the sink, toilet, and bathtub/shower with your favorite bathroom cleaner.
- Let the cleaner sit for at least 5 minutes so the chemicals have a chance to do their thing.\
- Use glass cleaner on any mirrors. Remember to dust above and below the medicine cabinet.
- Once you’ve wiped down the toilet add some bowl cleaner to the water and let sit another 5 minutes.
- Scrub with a scrub brush or toilet cleaner until all hard water deposits are scraped off.
- Borax works best on tough bathroom stains. Soap scum slides right off with a little borax.
- Make sure all dishes are cleaned and put away.
- Scrape off any food particles from the stove and wipe down the front of the oven.
- Wipe out the microwave and clean off the door.
- *Make sure to wipe down all the counters and other surfaces before sweeping and mopping. If anything lands on the floor you can just sweep up after.
- Pick up any items that don’t belong
- Wash any slipcovers or removable upholstery
- Wipe down the TV with an electronics cleaner and don’t forget to give any remotes a wipe down.
- The most labor-intensive room since most people store all their junk here.
- Go through and make a keep pile 1st. That way nothing valuable gets thrown out by accident.
- Consider having a yard sale to get rid of old items. Remember that low-cost items like old clothes and toys often aren’t worth the time and effort to find a buyer.
- Save your time by donating the little stuff and advertise your big ticket items on Craigslist and LetGo so you don’t have to dedicate an entire weekend to selling your old stuff.
We Can Help You Declutter
Have way more stuff in your throwaway pile than you’re keeping?
Don’t worry, with Bin There Dump That you can have a dumpster dropped off at your door within 24 hours.
And don’t even think about lifting a finger when it comes to transportation. Can you believe some dumpster rental companies expect you to move that thing?
We don’t. All you have to do is fill your dumpster and we take care of everything else. We even lay down wood boards to protect your driveway from any damage.
Yes, it might be a little over cautious but we do it because we care about your property as much as you do.
Stop waiting to declutter and organize your house. Armed with your new checklist the only thing you have left to do is order your dumpster.
Call now and get a free quote!